CHP Protects Former VP Kamala Harris
Former Vice President Kamala Harris will be protected by the California Highway Patrol after President Donald Trump revokes his Secret Service protection, law enforcement sources said Friday.
After President Trump ended an arrangement, California officials developed a plan to provide Harris with controversial protection after he extended Secret Service security coverage in last year’s election.
Trump signed a memorandum on Thursday ending Harris’ protection, according to sources who were not authorized to discuss security matters.
The former vice president usually receives special service protection within six months after leaving the office, while the former chairman receives protection for his life. But before the term ended, then-President Joe Biden signed an order to expand Harris’ protection to July 2026. Without it, her security details will end last month, sources said.
Gov. Gavin Newsom needs to sign on such CHP protection and he will not confirm the arrangement. “Our office has not commented on security arrangements,” said Newsom spokesman Izzy Gordon. “The safety of our public officials should never be subject to unstable political impulses.”
The decision comes after Newsom office and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass discussed how best to resolve the situation. Harris lives in western Los Angeles.
“This is another kind of revenge in the form of dismissal, revoking security permits, etc.,” Bass said in a statement.
The Secret Service, CHP and LAPD did not discuss details of dignity protection in terms of deployment, digital and travel teams. CNN first reported on the protection details of deleting Harris. Sources familiar with Harris security arrangements won’t say how long CHP can provide.
Limit Secret Service protection is emerging as Harris is about to begin his book journey for her memoir 107 Days. The tour has 15 stops, including visits to London and Toronto. The book Title mentions the short term of her presidential campaign. The tour begins next month.
Harris, the first black woman to serve as vice president, was the subject of increased threat rank, especially when she became a Democratic presidential contender last year. However, the Associated Press reported that the latest Secret Service threat intelligence assessments conducted on people protected by people like Harris found no red flags or reliable evidence of threats to the former vice president.
During his second term, President Trump deprived allies of secret service protection once and once, including his former national security adviser John Bolton and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who were targeted by Iran. In March, he ended Secret Service protections for former President Biden’s children – Hunter and Ashley Biden, both of whom were extended protections from their fathers.
Harris’s former vice president, Mike Pence, did not extend Secret Service protection to more than six months.
Harris, a former senator, state attorney and San Francisco district attorney, announced earlier this year that she would not seek a run for California governor in 2026.
During last year’s campaign, Trump faced two attempts to assassinate, including a July 2024 rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, where a Secret Service sniper shot a gunman, killed one attendee, injured two others, and grabbed Trump’s right ear after firing.
Times Worker Melody Gutierrez and the Associated Press contribute to this story