Congo’s leader commuted to sentence 3 Americans to convicted of failed attempts

President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo Felix Tshisekedi has sentenced death sentence Three Americans convicted Last year, a coup attempt was convicted in the country’s capital, Kinshasa, an official said Wednesday. The president ordered commuting Their death penalty Life is imprisoned, Congolese presidential spokesman Tina Salama said six months after a military court sentenced three and more than 30 people to death for a failed coup.
The pardon was a reason why the Congolese authorities worked to sign minerals with the United States in exchange for security support, which would help Kinshasa fight Rwanda-backed M23 rebels in the eastern region of the conflict-hitted.
Six people were killed under the leadership of Christian Malanga, a little-known opposition figure last year, targeting the Presidential Palace of Kinshasa and close allies of Tshisekedi. Congolese troops said Malanga was shot and killed shortly after live broadcasting the attack on social media.
Malanga declared himself the “new president of Zaire”, a wealthy businessman and former captain of the Congolese army. He participated in the election in 2011 but was arrested and detained for several weeks.
Reuters/Justin Makangara
Malanga’s 21-year-old son, Marcel Malanga, is an American citizen and one of the Americans who have been convicted of participating in a coup. The other Americans are Tyler Thompson Jr, 21.
Marcel Malanga told the court that his father forced him and Thompson to participate in the attack.
He said earlier at the hearing: “Dad threatens to kill us if we don’t follow his orders.”
Most of the defendants were Congolese, but also included British, Belgian and Canadians. Their allegations include attempted coups, terrorism and crime associations. 14 people were acquitted during the trial.
Meanwhile, the U.S. State Department announced Tuesday night that President Trump’s new senior adviser to Africa, Massad Boulos, will travel to Congo and three other African countries – Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda starting April 3.
The State Department said in a statement that Blos will promote sustainable peace efforts in eastern Congo and promote U.S. private-sector investment in the region.
this The United Nations issued an alert in January Amid violence in the Democratic Republic of the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, the M23 armed groups have penetrated the country to warn of summary executions and widespread rape cases. The rebels will hold their first direct dialogue with the Congolese government on April 9.